Friday, January 25, 2013

11 Weeks - 1 More to 2nd Trimester!

1/25/13
So we are at 11 weeks today!  I am starting to show a little bit.  Luckily I have lost weight in the last couple of months, so my clothes had been a little baggy.  They are becoming less baggy, but still fit fine.  I'm guessing people are going to start thinking I'm gaining the weight back.  I've actually lost about 5 pounds since getting pregnant.  Not on purpose, of course.  I am trying to eat healthy, but the last few weeks has been just eating foods that seem safe (as in not going to make me sick).  Peanut butter has been a big one.  I'll have a piece of Ezekiel bread with peanut butter in the morning, and a glass of milk if I think I can get it down.  Peanut butter and banana or jelly in the afternoon (on wheat bread).  Evenings are the worst nausea times for me, so dinner has been hit or miss.  Sometimes just a handful of saltines.  I can't really handle the sight or smell of raw meat very well, so I haven't been grocery shopping dinner foods much either.  I tried a few days ago in Sprouts...I lasted about a minute and had to walk away.

I have been lucky in the fact that I don't throw up much.  I have gagged a lot, and I feel like I'm going to throw up a lot, but haven't actually thrown up very often.  I did move my trash can in my classroom over to where I give notes...just in case.

Anywho.

Our first "regular" doctor appointment was on Wednesday.  I went with a full bladder because I wasn't sure if they were going to do an internal or an external ultrasound.  At 10 weeks, 5 days, I knew in general it would still be internal, but at 7 weeks the ultrasound tech said she could see everything with the external one.  When we got to the appointment, I immediately asked if I should have a full bladder (because I am not going to sit there uncomfortably if I don't have to), and apparently we weren't going to do an ultrasound at all.  She asked if I thought we were, which I did, so she said she might be able to find an opening if we wanted it.  Uh, duh.  Any chance to see the heartbeat.

So we go into the doctor's office and I ask that nurse if I need to have a full bladder or if I should go to the bathroom.  She wasn't positive (she thought it was internal), so she would check with the doctor.  Well the doctor came in and didn't say anything about it and immediately started the internal one.  I wasn't terribly uncomfortable, so I figured I'd be ok through the ultrasound.  She immediately said "there's your bladder, it's really full."  Couldda fooled me.  Then she said "there's your cyst."  Ya, ya, we know it's there, it's beneficial, it will go away, moving on.  And then silence.  And more silence.  And my mind goes back to the last ultrasound we had when the doctor sat in silence for a while and then told us she couldn't find a heartbeat.

Stephen reached over and took my hand.  Then she asks "has anyone seen this pregnancy?"  I just couldn't believe this was happening.  I asked if I should go to the bathroom if my bladder was in the way, and she said to give it another minute.  Then she said she couldn't find the uterus.  Which was better than not being able to find the baby and made me think it had more to do with my bladder, but was not reassuring.  She finally said she was going to have me go to the bathroom, so I did.

Once I came back in and she started over, immediately we could see the baby on the screen with the little flickering heartbeat.  And we finally started breathing again.  Her response was "there it is!"  Are you kidding me??  Asking someone if anyone has seen the pregnancy makes it seem like there are bad things happening.  She could've at least explained that my bladder could be in the way.  But it didn't matter, we could see our baby and it was moving around and fine.

The best part was being able to hear the heartbeat for the first time.  It was in the 160's which she said was good and sounded like a little train.  It was pretty awesome.  Talk about going from a low to a high.  Anyway, we went back and finished up the paperwork and getting a tour of our new flashdrive (Kaiser gives you a flashdrive with a bunch of information on it and then they put all your ultrasounds on it).  This ultrasound isn't on it because it was pretty much just a heartbeat check.  No measurements, no really explaining where everything was, but we could see the heartbeat and it has definitely grown, so all is right for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment