Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Storm Begins to Clear

So I figured it would be good to write a blog post before school officially starts and things get even more busy.  Since I haven't written anything since before the D&C, I figured it was time for an update.

I actually don't really remember the D&C itself.  It was in Roseville and we had to be there really early (7 I think), so the drive was uneventful.  We were among the first people into Kaiser, I think, because it was very empty.  We even beat the receptionist by about 5 minutes.  They checked us in and Stephen got to stay with me the whole time.  (While they put in the IV, checked all my vital signs, etc).  We were the only ones back there, so it was pretty fast.  The doctor came and talked to us and then they wheeled me back.

I remember them talking to me a little bit, and talking about the patient that was coming after me.  The doctor patted my feet every once in a while, which I found strangely comforting.  It was like I "I know you're here, you'll be fine" kind of pat.  After they gave me the "cocktail" I don't really remember anything.  I wasn't actually unconscious, but the drugs have an amnesiac effect and pretty much knock you out.  Just not completely.  The one thing I do remember is tears running into my ears because I was laying flat on my back.  The nurse must've noticed because she wiped away some of them.  But I think they were either done or almost done because I don't remember anything else about that moment.

The next thing I remember I was back out in the recovery area and Stephen was there.  I guess the doctor came out to get him right away because I was crying.  I slept for a while, but the machine I was hooked up to kept beeping because my heart rate was dropping too low.  I guess I just have a very slow resting heart rate, especially with the drugs in my system.  The nurse said it was okay because my blood pressure is very low, too, so it's not a bad thing.

We left there around 10:30, so the whole process went very quick.  We got Arby's on the way home and had to wait for the drive through to open.  :-)  I laid around for a couple of days, but I think overall I did okay.  My family and a couple of good friends checked in a lot, which was a nice reminder that I wasn't alone.

Since then whenever people ask how I am, my answer is usually "good days and bad days."  The majority of days are good now, unless something sets me off.  I hear a sad song on the radio and can't keep it together.  Someone at work is confrontational and I get over emotional.  Sometimes it all happens in one day (two weeks ago) and I just come home and cry.  I get strangely overwhelmed sometimes, like the first big family thing we went to, or the first time we went back to church.  I know I am loved and supported in both places, I wasn't nervous about being there, but I just get really emotional for no reason.  It's happening less often, though.

It feels like the major storm is clearing out.  Not gone completely, but less central and consuming in my life.  I don't know if it will ever be gone completely.  My grandpa died in February, so I believe he got to meet our baby before we did.  But someday we will meet him or her.  Until then, life goes on.


Pre service days start next week and the students come Thursday.  I've actually been at school all week trying to get ready.  But I'm actually glad to be going back.  It will focus me on other things, I have some good leadership students who are excited and happy to be there, and I'm looking forward to my second year as activities director where I feel like I know a little more.  A little.

Also new for us is a couple from Ireland, Daniel and Samantha, are renting from us while they get their feet under them in the U.S.  Daniel is actually originally from Sweden and Samantha is from New Jersey/St. Louis, but they've been living in Ireland for 6 years.  Daniel works for Apple and worked with Stephen.  I met him when we went in March 2011, but only briefly at a large table with a lot of Apple people (I mentioned the dinner here).  Daniel decided to transfer from the Cork Apple to the Elk Grove Apple, and were looking for a place to live.  Hotels are really expensive, and apartments rarely come furnished and are hard to decide on without seeing.  We said they could rent from us since we have a furnished room and extra bathroom.

One of the first things we did was go to IKEA, which is a Swedish company.  You know all those Swedish names they have for every item in IKEA?  Well the really are Swedish, but not all make sense.  Some are no brainers, like the sewing machine name means "sew."  But there was a braided basket whose name meant "snip."  And some of the names are just cities.  We decided someone in Sweden sits behind a desk and just laughs as they decide on names.  It was quite entertaining to walk through IKEA with a native Swedish speaker, who pointed out some of the more interesting names.

And that Swedish market they have after the registers is truly a Swedish market.  Daniel was very excited to find a certain cheese that is not found anywhere else.  Apparently IKEA used to carry actual Swedish brands of things, but now they are making their own.  But it's still good, at least according to Daniel and Samantha.

They flew into Elk Grove around 11:00pm last Saturday, so between that and starting school, life has been busy.  It's a welcome distraction.

So how am I doing?  Good days and bad days, but more good than bad.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment