Monday, May 06, 2013

25 Weeks

It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted anything, so I figured it was time for an update.  At 25 weeks, I am beyond the "is she pregnant or just shouldn't have had that cookie" stage.  I can feel the baby moving a lot, and the movements are getting stronger.  She was actually moving a book I had on my stomach the other morning, which was quite funny.  I absolutely love feeling her movements.  They make me smile, remind me she's safe, and it's like having my own little buddy with me wherever I go.  So if you see me randomly smiling and watching my stomach, I'm not crazy.  Promise.

The last month has brought some pregnancy pains, but that's to be expected.  Most nights and mornings it feels like someone kicked me in the pubic bone.  It hurts more when I have laid down for a while, but it also hurts worse if I've been on my feet a lot.  So when I asked my doctor whether exercise or rest was better, her response was pretty much neither one.  And that it would get worse.  Thanks doc.

My feet and ankles swelled a little this week.  And yes, I was drinking plenty of water.  I tend to drink around 100 oz a day (teaching makes me thirsty).  But it was warmer than usual, and I was on my feet a lot.  There's only 4 more weeks of school, and then I can put my feet up more.

On the upside, my heart rate issues have gotten better.  The holter monitor showed that my heart was skipping a beat and then was irregular afterwards.  The only treatment is beta blockers, which could cause growth issues for the baby.  The risk for the baby definitely outweighed the benefits for me, so we decided to try to reduce my stress level and prevent them as much as possible.  They almost always started during a particular period at school, so I had to let go of some of the stress.  It helped that the next week was minimum days for STAR testing.  And as hard as it is for me, letting go of making everything perfect has also helped.  In perspective, keeping myself and the baby healthy are way more important than any lesson I'm trying to teach or event I'm trying to pull off.  I also took a day off in the middle of the week, and am taking another the week after next.  There have been less heart episodes since doing these things, so I think it's working.

This Saturday started the first of the busy Saturdays between now and July.  As in, I literally have something happening every Saturday between now and July.  I got to host my sister's first wedding shower this weekend.  People seemed to enjoy it and she got some great stuff.  My parents helped with all the planning and cleaning, which kept me from getting too stressed.  Next weekend, we have a family shower for her, which I'm looking forward to.  Most of my extended family hasn't seen me pregnant, so it will be fun to see everyone.

Speaking of, here is a picture from yesterday:


As uncomfortable as some of these aches and pains have been, I am still enjoying being pregnant.  Which sounds crazy and I can't explain it.  Maybe because there was a period where I was worried I might never get to be pregnant.  I always knew we'd have kids because we would (and still might) adopt, but I desperately wanted to be able to be pregnant.  As I've been typing, they baby has been rolling around, punching or kicking (not sure which), and making the computer bounce a little.  It's pretty weird that there's a human in there.  And if we had her today, she would have a chance at surviving with significant medical help.  (I don't by any stretch of the imagination want her to come now, but it was comforting to know that she could survive if something happened).

We've been working on the baby's room, mostly emptying out all of the stuff that has accumulated in there the last couple of years.  That room had always been the baby's room, even when the baby was years away from coming.  So we never really did anything with the room except put stuff in it.  We have the theme of the nursery picked out, so the next step is deciding on painting.  The theme is yellow and green flowers, one of the only girl themed bedding sets that wasn't almost all pink.  Here's the picture from the Buy Buy Baby website:



I like pink, I wear pink, my daughter will wear pink.  But I don't feel the need to have everything be pink.  Yellow is cheerful, the flowers still make it girly, and some of the stuff could be used again if we have a boy (not the flowery stuff, but the solid color stuff).  We've been collecting baby items at garage sales, consignment shops, and friends getting rid of stuff.  We bought a crib, changing table, and glider from Target on a really good sale (coupled with discount codes).  So everything is starting to fall into place!

No comments:

Post a Comment